Monday, August 26, 2013

Park and Art





 
Spokane boasts a wonderful park called Manito, loosely translated from the dialect of the indigenous tribes to mean "spirit of nature".  Designed in the early 1900s, it now features a Japanese garden, a formal annuals garden, a perennial garden, lilac gardens, a conservatory filled with cacti and succulents, and Mirror Pond.  Such an ambitious project for a young city that was so remote; and still, today, an ambitious project by the City and 100 volunteers to keep it so well maintained. 

My sister and daughter and I took a leisurely stroll through the park on Saturday afternoon in perfect weather and book-ended it with some productive art-making time.  I christened a new "speed painting" sketchbook.  Perhaps I will share some images from it on another day.  And now, the work week calls.


2 comments:

Kristen Donegan said...

ooo! I love that idea speed painting! please show us more when you can :)

Sophie Munns said...

Fabulous images Gloria... WOW... which one do I like best!
Hope you're well... 2 months without internet is finally over so time to go exploring the blogosphere tonight.
Best to you!
S