Sunday, October 18, 2009

Block Printing in Adobe Illustrator



Recently, I've been experimenting with a new-to-me printmaking process. The above image is the result of my activities mixed with a bit of alchemy...truly! I scanned my original print, which was French blue and cordovan, altered the colors to deep turqoise and dark coffee in the scanning program, put the pattern into repeat in Adobe Illustrator, and imported it into this blog. Voila! Deep turquise magically turned into shocking lime and dark coffee turned into deep periwinkle! Wow -- shocking but lovely! Below, is the original print.




And below, is the altered print put into repeat. (I finally figured out how to import it without changing the color.)





4 comments:

Catherine said...

What a fun little mystery - great colors!

Unknown said...

Gloria, I love your block printing on tissue and fabric. I want some of that fabric to sew something with.
V

Gloria Freshley Art and Design said...

Hi Vianne. Thanks for your intereset and positive input! I really appreciate it. Right now, my day job is consuming most of my time so I haven't been able to be in "art production mode." However, I've set up an Etsy shop and am hoping to have some items for sale in it by January.

krista said...

ooo - i love the repeat this little motif creates. and beautiful colors!